Sunday, September 19, 2010

Kale Pesto

Kale has become one of my favorite leafy green vegetables. I especially liek the tuscan kale that is purplish in color. My CSA rocks in the area of kale. I love pesto in the summer but it can be laden with fat. In an attempt to up my phytonutrient intake as well as reduce the fat in pesto I created this new version.

Ingredients:
1 bunch of fresh basil
1 bunch of kale leaves removed from the step
1 fresh lemon
a handful of raw walnuts
1-2 T olive oil
parmesan to taste
1-2 cloves of raw or roasted garlic (depends on your preference)

In a food processor, chop the kale and basil until they are well blended. Squeeze the juice adn some pulp of one fresh lemon, add the nuts, oil, garlic and cheese to taste. This is an amazing spread. I love to have it spread on a piece of toasted Ezekeal sprouted bread with some slice tomatoes. I freeze this using an ice cube tray. Once it is frozen I store the cubes in a freezer bag and defrost as needed. This also tastes great over some steaming hot veggies or whole wheat pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment