Sunday, October 17, 2010

Pumpkin Muffins

With the wonderful fall weather comes some amazing squashes and root vegetables. Last week, I got a "pie pumpkin" in my farm share so I decided to see what it'd be like if I cooked it myself. It was delicious and so much better than the stuff in the can. To cook the pumpkin all I did was cut it, scoop out the insides, peel the skin and steam it. Once it was soft I put it into my Vitamix which is my new favorite kitchen appliance and pureed it in just a few seconds. From there I created the following yummy recipe for pumpkin muffins. It yields 24 muffins and tastes great served with a piping hot cup of apple cinnamon tea.

Ingredients:
1 small pie pumpkin steamed and pureed
6 oz plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1/2 cup barley malt
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup apple sauce
3T pumpkin pie spice
1 cup flaxseed meal
1 cup oat flour
1 cup brown rice flour
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup millet
2tsp baking soda

In a mixer, combine the pumpkin, yogurt, apple sauce, egg, barley malt, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice. Blend well. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix well. Spray muffin pans with Pam or other similar cooking spray. Sprinkle oats on top of muffins before baking. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

The brown rice flour gives the recipe a nice nutty flavor. I have greatly reduced my use of whole wheat flower recently in exchange for oats, oat flour adn millet which are all alkaline foods. I love the way the millet adds a crunch to the texture of the muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment