Sunday, January 27, 2013

Black Bean Butternut Squash Brownies



I'm always looking for new ways to incorporate more nutritional value into my baked goods. I am so pleased  with this new recipe. It is both gluten free and refined sugar free. Black beans and butternut squash pair very well together especially with the chocolate. While they were cooking both of my boys were intrigued by the delicious smell in the kitchen. My seven year old said "they taste like regular brownies".

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked black beans
2 cups roasted and pureed butternut squash
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1/2 cup honey
3 eggs
1/2 cup chopped bittersweet (can also use dark chocolate or carob)
1/3 cup finely chopped raw walnuts
1/4 cup yellow rasins


  • In a food processor, combine the beans and eggs and process until smooth.
  • Add coconut oil, honey and butternut squash and process
  • Add remaining ingredients and process
  • Pour into a greased 13x9x2 glass pan. Spread with a silicone spatula.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. 


These brownies are extremely moist. When I make them again I may add another egg and possibly 1/4 cup more coconut flour. I cut them and let them cool on a wire rack before putting the cooling rack in the freezer. Once frozen the brownies can then be transfered to a freezer bag.




No comments:

Post a Comment