Thursday, November 4, 2010

Hearty Vegetable Soup

This is a simple soup recipe that I modified from my Weight Watchers days. The idea is based on their "zero point veggie soup". It can be made with any veggies you like or have on hand. Below are some of my favorites. I just made a batch yesterday afternoon and it was my best batch yet since I was able to include a quart of ground tomatoes left over from the summer harvest that I had frozen.

Ingredients:
6 cloves of pressed fresh garlic
1 onion slice thin and chopped
1/2 bag confetti slaw (green cabbage mix)
1/2 bag of brocoli or rainbow slaw ( this is a combo of shredded brocoli, cauliflower, carrots and and cabbages)
10 white mushrooms sliced thin
1 cup shredded collard greens (you can also use spinach or kale)
2 boxes organic chicken broth
1 quart of chopped fresh tomatoes or 1/2-1 can can of organic tomato paste
1 cup red lentils

Spray a large pot with cooking spray, add onions, garlic, and mushrooms, collards and saute. Add remaining veggies and saute for a few minutes until veggies are soft but not soggy. Add 2 boxes organic chicken broth and one quart of fresh ground tomatoes. When fresh tomatoes are not available they can be substituted with 1/2 -1 can of organic tomato paste. Rinse one cup of red lentils and add to pot raw. They will cook in the soup and add a wonderful hardiness. Simmer on low for an hour. This is a wonderful soup to freeze. My kids like this soup when I add small pasta or tortelini to it for them. A hearty, filling soup for the whole family!

No comments:

Post a Comment